Pages

Labels

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sparks City Parks

On August 20, 2010 I sent this email to the Sparks city Attorney.


City Attorney
Chet Adams
431 Prater Way
Sparks, NV 89431
Phone: (775) 353-2324
Fax: (775) 353-1688
Mr Adams

Nevada originally passed a preemption law in 1989, meaning that counties
and municipalities such as sparks cannot pass gun laws that are more
restrictive than the state law. Some gun ordinances in some parts of the
state were “grandfathered” in at that time, I don't know if that was
true here in sparks. However, in 2007, Senate Bill 92 amended the
preemption law, removing all grandfathered ordinances with the exception
of a handgun registration ordinance. Which only applies to Clark County

This is now known as NRS 268.418 Limited authority to regulate firearms;
restrictions concerning registration of firearms in city in county whose
population is 400,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature
reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate
the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation,
registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no
city may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this
subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is
discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

There is also sections NRS 244.364 and NRS 269.222 that deal with county
and unincorporated areas and are worded similar.


Section 12.24.070 of the Sparks Municipal code states that

A. Except as provided in subsection C, it is unlawful for any person to
carry or wear a firearm in a city park.

B. A "firearm" means any weapon with a caliber of .177 inches or greater
from which a projectile may be propelled by means of explosive, spring,
gas, air or other force.

C. Nothing in this section prohibits the carrying or wearing of a
firearm by a peace officer or the carrying of a firearm pursuant to the
terms of a valid concealed weapons permit.
(Ord. 1383 § 1 (part), 1983.)(Ord. 2339, Amended, 09/11/2006)

This is directly in violation of State preemption laws passed in 1989
and 2007, and Section 12.24.070 of the Sparks Municipal code should be
repealed in its entirety to bring it back in line with State Law.


I respectfully request that you advise all such departments that they
remove this signage and instruct law enforcement that there is no law
against such exercise of rights.

As a law abiding citizen I wish to go about my business without
interference with the comfort of knowing I am able to defend myself and
my family.

I look forward to your cooperation in this matter.
Here is the Reply I received from him

Mr. John-in-Reno,
 Thank you very much for your input. I am away from my office today and have a full city council meeting on Monday.
 I agree with you that this is a matter of great importance and one that deserves immediate attention. I was not aware of this potential conflict in the law and I appreciate you briniging it to my attention.
 I have asked one of our attorneys to look into your concerns and report back to me with their research results. Please rest assured that I will independtly look into this as well and I will get back to you within a week with a response.
 As a gun owner and a CCW permittee myself , I beleive that all of our citizens enjoy the right to self defense and protection. I can garantee you that if I believe the City's ordinances conflict with Nevada law, I will ask that the ordinances be repealed.
 Thank you,
 Chet Adams
 Sparks City Attorney
On November 8, 2010  bill #2625 was introduced and had a first reading, to the Sparks City Council to repeal the section of the sparks ordnance dealing with firearms in the park.

On November 22, 2010 was the second reading of the bill and they voted to pass the bill

Here is the Dropbox link to the final bill signed and passed Ord2526.pdf

0 comments:

About Me